Skip to main content

Saint Nicholas: The Church That Watches Over the Harbor

At Filellinon Square, with a direct view of the harbour, stands one of Nafplio's most photographed churches — Saint Nicholas, patron of sailors. Small in size but not in history, it's one of the town's most sought-after venues for weddings and baptisms, thanks to its setting and bright interior.

History

In 1713, Augustinos Sagredo, provveditore of the Venetian fleet, ordered an older church of Saint Nicholas — previously inside the city walls — moved and rebuilt at its current location, in what was then the "Aigialos" district, outside the northern walls. The choice of location was no accident: right by the sea, fitting for the patron saint of sailors. A Latin inscription on the church's façade records the fact.

The church of that era, however, isn't the one you see today. The current form of the church dates to 1836, built after the Revolution, with neoclassical architectural elements that arrived in Greece with Kapodistrias. It follows a single-nave basilica type, with classical and neo-Byzantine features.

The Interior

The church has three sections: the middle nave is dedicated to Saint Nicholas, the right to the Apostles Peter and Paul, the left to the Three Hierarchs. Notable features include the bishop's throne, a central chandelier of Russian craftsmanship, and the large icon panels on the iconostasis (1848-1849), works of the talented iconographer of the National Renaissance era, Ioannou Dimadi.

The 2025 Restoration

In recent years, the historic church faced serious dampness problems and risk of roof collapse. The Ministry of Culture completed an extensive restoration — repairing the wooden roof, structural reinforcement of the walls and bell towers, full conservation of the wooden iconostasis, icons, and bishop's throne — which revealed the original colours and designs of the ceiling. The inauguration took place in August 2025, attended by Minister of Culture Lina Mendoni and the Metropolitan of Argolida, Nektarios.

A Small Curiosity: Saint Nicholas "Built with Wine"

Nafplio also has another, smaller wayside chapel dedicated to Saint Nicholas, with an unusual nickname: "the Wine-Built One." Legend has it that a sea captain, carrying wine to Nafplio, prayed to the saint to save his ship from a storm, vowing to build a chapel in his memory. When the ship was saved, the captain kept his vow, building the chapel with mud mixed with wine instead of water.

Practical Information

Location: Filellinon Square, Nafplio harbourAdmission: FreeHours: Regular services — the saint's feast day (December 6) is an official holiday for the Greek Navy, Coast Guard, and all Greek ships

See Also

When was Saint Nicholas at Nafplio's harbor built?
Founded/moved in 1713 by Augustinos Sagredo, but the current form dates to 1836.
When was the latest restoration completed?
August 2025.
Why is it located here specifically?
Saint Nicholas is the patron of sailors — the seaside harbour location was chosen deliberately.


Connect with us

Enter your email address to receive our latest news.


Share your moments and memories with us

City of Nafplio Tourism


Handcrafted by ©Wize Media