Palamidi Castle is located on the hill Palamidi of Nafplion at a height of 216 meters at a strategic point for the control of the Argolic Gulf.
It is the best preserved castle and is considered one of the most beautiful in Greece, being an achievement of fortification architecture.
The name Palamidi is due to the Homeric hero "Palamidis" who took part in the Trojan war but did not return after he was assassinated after the Odysseus' tribe for betrayal.
History of Palamidi
1st Venetian domination
The construction of Palamidi was made in 1714 in only a few years to serve military needs by the Venetians who had occupied Nafplion since 1470.
1st Ottoman domination
With the occupation of Nafplion by the Turks in 1540 after a three-year siege by Kasim Pasha (1537-1540), Palamidi was strategically used.
2nd Venetian domination
The restoration of Palamidi to the Venetians was made by General Morizioni, who started from Tolo, creating the anti-Turkish coalition of LINTS with the aim of releasing the Peloponnese from the Turks and redeeming Palamidi in 1686.
After the second occupation of Nafplion by the Venetians, Palamidi was given special importance and the fortifications under the supervision of Agostino Sagredo began, creating a fortification achievement in only three years (1711-1714).
2nd Ottoman domination
In 1715 the Turks conquered Nafplion for the second time and invaded Palamidi with an army of 100,000 soldiers after they blew up a large part of the fortress with the reason of his own maker, Lasal.
On November 29, 1822, headed by Staikos Staikopoulos and 300 men after a month's siege, Moschonisiotis Dimitrios stepped first into the castle from the Achilleas bastion and the castle came to Greek hands on the day of Apostle Andrew's feast.
In memory of the release, the church that was in the castle was dedicated to Saint Andrew and was praised the next day of occupation where it was held every year since then.
The design of Palamidi and the realization were made by Giaxich and LaSalle respectively based on the "labyrinths" system, bastions which are developed stepwise to support each other where they are connected with walls.
The structure contains eight separate bastions in total so that if one is occupied, one will continue to defend others. Each bastion had its own name.
At the central bastion, where there was the central administration, there was also the church of St. Andrew the protector of the Sagrends where the bastion was named. The bastion of Leonidas and Miltiades was built northwards, the bastion of Roberts to the north, the basin of Themistocles on the south, the bastion of Achilleas on the east and the bastions of Fokion and Epameinondas built by the Turks.
Prison and place of execution
During the reign of Othon Palamidi became the toughest prison in Greece, and at the same time as a place of execution with a guillotine where the executioners stayed in Bourtzi because of the outrage of the people (1890-1913).
In 1834 and for 11 months, Theodoros Kolokotronis was imprisoned in Palamidi for the reason of betrayal from the regency to a very small cell (dungeon). However, studies suggest that Kolokotroni's real prison was in the Miltiadis bastion.
From 1962 until today Palamidi is considered an archaeological site with great traffic. Access is possible from the eastern gate you reach by taking the road towards Karathonas beach and turning right at the top of the hill following the signs or from the 999 steps that start from the west side of the castle on the way towards Arvanitia beach.
Information and Opening Hours
Tel .: 27520 28036
From November 1st to March 31st: 08:00 to 17:00
From April 1st to October 30th: 08:00 - 20:00