Acronafplia is the peninsula where the southern and western parts of the island are steeply into the sea and the old Nafplion is built on it, the name Acronafplia and it was from the ancient times the Acropolis of Nafplion.
It is located opposite the Bourtzi castle, under the castle of Palamidi and to the right of Nafplion at the entrance of the Argolic Gulf with access from the north of the Arvanitian archeological archeological site or the Tower of the Toron castle.
History of Acronafplia
The traces of life in Acronafplia begin in the 4th century BC. Where a fortified settlement developed, but in Roman times it was moved further south by constructing a semicircular tower as the main gate of the city.
During the Byzantine era, the development of Acronafplia was a fact and was the seat of Lord Leo Sgourou, based in its operations.
The Frankish rule came in 1912 after a long siege led by Othon de la Roos and the divisions of Acronafplia began. Two castles were to stand the Frankish rulers and military, the eastern Frankish castle and the Greek inhabitants (Greeks), the western Romeiko castle.
These two castles the separated shear wall to control the Romans (Greek) wherein the inlet of the eastern Frankish Acronafplia built an exquisite entrance Gate Peace.
First Venetian rule
The Venetians after sieges occupied Acronafplia and they kept their sovereignty from 1389 until 1540. At that time they gave the name "Napoli di Romania" and created a third more austere castle with Liontarogato as a crest, the Castello di Toro (Castello di Toro).
The discovery of the powder at the time forced to change the configuration of fortification technique so construct towers and trenches and transferred to the lower Acronafplia as to be surrounded by Bastion Five Sibling and control inputs from the gate of the land and the Gate of the Sea for safety.
First Ottoman domination
In 1540 Acronafplia was now under Turkish domination, who did not make major structural changes, but strengthened the fortification with larger cannons and gave it its "Cale" in the city which means the inner castle.
2nd Venetian rule
General Morizioni started from Tolo with the aim of liberating Peloponnese from the Turks and recaptured Acronafplia in 1686.
The fierce battles had almost destroyed the city and so began a long period of reconstruction. With Lasalle as a designer, the Gate of the Land was reconstructed and the Grimani Bastion and the new Gate of Sagredo were built.
At the same time a great emphasis was placed on the fortification of Palamidi Castle and Acronafplia came as a second priority for the defensive fortification of Nafplion.
2nd Ottoman domination
The Turkish sovereignty returned to Nafplion in 1715 to 1822 where the Venetians surrendered the city. Now Acronafplia and the Turks were second in priority and so defended the castle of Palamidi with 400 cannons, 84 of which were heavy for the season (64 pounds each).
On November 29, 1822, headed by Staikos Staikopoulos and 300 men after a siege of months, Moschonisiotis Dimitrios stepped first into Palamidi Castle from Achamelia's Promahonas and the castle came to Greek hands on the day of St. Apostle Andrew's feast.
With the cannons of the fortified fortress they dominated the Acronafplia for three days. On December 3, the Turks handed over the castle to Commander Theodoros Kolokotronis, who placed Spetsiotas Anastasios Koutroupis as the guardian.
Barracks and prisons
The governor of Greece now, John Kapodistrias, in 1829, built and maintained Acronafplia where he built a military hospital and barracks in which he was the center of the Peloponnesian army.
In 1926 the prisons housed in Palamidi were transferred to Acronafplia and in 1937 the Metaxas became politicians until 1960.
During the period 1970 - 1971, the prisons of Acronafplia, the military hospital and a large part of the Roman castle were built to build a tourist unit Xenia Pallas, only the chapel of Agioi Anargyroi was saved.
To visit Acronafplia you can go up the road from Arvanitias square, climb up with Xenia's elevator, which is a little more than the Promenade Five Brothers or walk through the old town of Nafplion with the roar of the Catholic Church and the Gate of the Castle of Toron.