Anfi is located in the heart of the Argolic plain and between the two great cities of the prefecture of Argolis, Nafplio at about 12 kilometers and Argos at a distance of 7 kilometers.Anfi is located in the heart of the Argolic plain and between the two great cities of the prefecture of Argolis, Nafplio at about 12 kilometers and Argos at a distance of 7 kilometers.
It is located at an altitude of 30 meters from the sea and according to the last census of 2001 has 898 inhabitants. It is surrounded by orange groves and, naturally, most of the inhabitants are engaged in the cultivation of orange.
For the first time the village refers to the Grimani census in 1699-1700, which was carried out under the command of the Venetian forester of the Peloponnese, F. Grimani, and is considered to be the most reliable inventory ever made. In this census the village is referred to as Gnyfi and is presented as one of the largest villages of the Argolic plain with 147 inhabitants.
The most prevalent version as far as the historicity of the settlement is concerned is that it is a late establishment of Arvanites of the last decades of the 17th century (1660-1680). This is supported by the fact that there is no prior Grimani census report on the settlement, either on an earlier document or on an Ottoman register, but also on the fact that the village was pronounced Newfi, as implied by the Latin letter G in front of N But also the next Y. The origin and meaning of the village's name has not been accurately attributed to the Greek or Arvanian language.
Apart from the Arvanites who settled at the end of the 17th century in the settlement, both before and after the revolution of 1821 Arkadian families settled and even later arrived in the village of Asia Minor and island refugees.
According to the book of geographer Antonis Miliarakis entitled "Geographical Policy of the Prefecture of Argolida and Corinth" in 1886, it is reported that the inhabitants of the village were all Arvanites and spoke the Arvanite dialect. Later and more than a need to communicate with the two large urban centers (Argos and Nafplion) began to speak Greek, until around 1930 the Arvanite dialect was finally abandoned.
The Byzantine church of the Metamorphosis of the Savior Christ, built around the end of the 11th century AC, is located on the road that connects Anyfi with Neo Heraion. It is a one-aisled royal church, built on ancient ruins, and this is betrayed by its masonry, where large rectangular stones have been used. The roof of the building has been repaired recently.
The Cathedral of the village is dedicated to Agios Dimitrios and is a relatively recent building around 1920. The oldest metropolitan church was Evangelismos tis Theotokou (known as Vaggelistria to the inhabitants of the village).
Also an important temple is the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Platanitis. It is a crucified church, located in the central square of Platanius, on the road that connects Agia Triad (Holy Trinity) with Anyfi. This church is very similar to the style of temples in Agia Triada and Hera, which leads to the conclusion that it was rebuilt around the same time, that is to say, in the 12th century. Ancient building material is seen on the outer walls of the temple, while the wall of the west side of the temple has been cracked, apparently caused by some seismic vibration. As far as the interior of the church is concerned, there is no hagiography that is preserved from its construction as the masonry is coated.
Anyfi belongs to the municipal unit of Midea of the Municipality of Nafplio and appears under the name Anyfi and according to the 2001 census it has 898 inhabitants.