Iria was originally built by refugees from Crete during the Capodistrias era and the ancient name of the area was "Agioi Limenes".Iria was originally built by refugees from Crete during the Capodistrias era and the ancient name of the area was "Agioi Limenes".
Sightseeing is the Tower of Signals (Frythoria) of the 7th century BC which is still in good condition. From this point they communicated with Ancient Asini Mycenae and other tower with smoke signals for the safety of the areas from any raids of enemies.
In 1962, an ancient shipwreck of the Late Mycenaean era of 1200 BC was discovered in the marine area of Iria at a depth of about 20 meters and a distance of about 25 meters from the coast. The cargo he carried contained pithos from Cyprus, amphorae from the Peloponnese, as well as false amphorae from Crete for the storage and transport of oil and wine and a stone anchor.
The findings were of particular importance for the study of the trade relations of the time and are found in the Spetses Museum.
In Iria there is also the church of Agios Nikolaos, one of the oldest of Argolida, while above the valley of Iria and in the northern part of Mount Avgo is built the Avgo Monastery.
Iria belongs to the municipal unit of Asini of the Municipality of Nafplio and appears under the name of Iria and according to the 2001 census it has 650 inhabitants.