Asini, Ancient Asini
It is a mansion located 10 km. S.E. of the city of Nafplion with a population of 1064 inhabitants. Asini is built under the mountain of the same name of the mountain, on the top of which is the church of Prophet Elias.
A mainly agricultural area where cereals, vegetables, olives and many citrus fruits are grown.
During the Ottoman domination, it was called the "Jephere Aga" by the homonymous governor of the Jephere Agas region. In 1902 it was renamed "Asini", which originated in Ancient Asini. There is also the Acropolis, which rises on the top of the hill, by the sea just before Tolo.
In Mycenaean times it was in great acne, and it was the port of Mycenae. In 700 BC, Was captured and plundered by the Argos soldiers who completely destroyed it except the temple of Pythaeus Apollon.
A reference to the city is made in the Iliad of Omiros, since the Assini with their king participated in the Trojan War. The epilogue of the ancient state is described with excitement and drama by G. Seferis in his poem "The King of Asini".
The Acropolis of Ancient Asini is built in a natural harbor of the Argolic Gulf, centrally located on a triangular hill - cape 330 meters long, 150 meters wide and a height of 52 meters. (Early Helladic II 2600-1900), Midle (Middle Helladic 1900-1550) and Late (Mycenaean 1550-1050 BC), Neolithic period (5th millennium BC) and mainly during the Bronze Age, But also during the historical times of about 1000-600 AC.
The surviving walls of the acropolis date back to 300 BC. it is most likely that they were constructed by Demetrius the Poliorketes, when he became king of Macedonia. The main gate is on the north side as well as a small gate to the east. The powerful rectangular tower measuring 12 meters high on the eastern side and the two towers on the Acropolis hill were constructed on the basis of the new martial art of the time, for siege engines and catapults.
During the early Byzantine period, 6th-7th century AC and in the 2nd Venetian domination (1686-1715) the walls were repaired. During the Italian occupation (1941-1943), fortifications, trenches and stone stairs were also built on the acropolis.
Within the Acropolis of Asini were found houses of the Bronze Age (2600-1050 BC), a well-built complex of Mycenaean houses (rectangular and arched houses) and many graves.
Northwest of the acropolis on the hill of Barbouna was found a large Mycenaean cemetery of chamber tombs with rich gifts, which revealed the communication of Asini with the Aegean, Crete and Cyprus.
In the historical times, in the 8th century BC (Late Geometric Age) Asini flourished and had contacts with the Cyclades, Athens and the southern Peloponnese. According to Pausanias, Asini as Spartian ally was destroyed by Argos around 700 BC and the inhabitants migrated to Asini, Messinia, today's Koroni. The city has been demolished for many centuries but has not been abandoned altogether. Asini grew again during the Hellenistic period of the 3rd-1st century BC. Across the acropolis were found houses, tanks and mill as well as important cemeteries in the area. The habitation continued during the Roman era. In the area of the excavations, Kato Akropolis, a small bath complex from the 5th-7th century AD was found, whose walls are kept at a height of 1-1.5 m. Within the acropolis there is the picturesque chapel of Panagia, with some more modern buildings.
Today, Asini belongs to the municipal unit of the Municipality of Nafplio and it appears under the name Asini and according to the 2001 census it has 1064 inhabitants.