Sunday, December 17, 2017

Agios Adrianos

Agios Adrianos is located five kilometers (5 kilometers) northwest of the city of Nafplion and is built at an altitude of about eighty meters (80 meters).Agios Adrianos is located five kilometers (5 kilometers) northwest of the city of Nafplion and is built at an altitude of about eighty meters (80 meters).

Initially and during the Ottoman domination the village was named "Katsigri". This name derives from the name of a Turkish pasha, "Katsigr Aga", to whom the whole area probably belonged. After the Turkish liberation, the village was named "Agios Adrianos" from the chapel of Agios Adrian, which is still preserved today.

Near the church of Saint Adrianos there is the "Old Castle". It is a Mycenaean castle, which was probably the center of Mycenae to the ancient theater of Epidaurus. Inside the village there is also a Towerhouse dated around 1750, and is sadly abandoned and in danger of collapsing.

Of particular interest is the dam of Tirintha located in the northwestern part of the village, as well as the two wells, which, according to the inhabitants, are the oldest of the Argolic land.

The small chapel of Saint Adrianos was built in 1753 and is located on the hill of Agios Adrianos. But village elders claim that there was a 1400-year-old wall.

The fire, which has twice burned the church, has destroyed the traces of chronology. On the wall, on a picture, it is mentioned that the hagiographies were made in 1753. However, the floor was made of stones that betray another period, probably Byzantine.

Saint Adrianos has a large number of faithful visitors from all over Greece as he is considered a miraculous. Next to the beautiful gate of the church there is a hole, which you can see from the beginning, that only a young child can pass from there.

But to date people who have attempted to pass have gone regardless of their body type. It is said that it is very good to pass somebody out of the hole and especially the childless couples.

Agios Adrianos belongs to the municipal unit of Nea Tiryntha of the Municipality of Nafplio and appears under the name of Agios Adrianos and according to the census of 2001 it has 1020 inhabitants.

Pin It